- June 11th - My dear friend Nancy, accompanied me to Kansas City for a day of testing. The first appointment was to visit with a therapist in the orthothotics department to get fitted for a Compression Arm Sleeve. This is used to prevent me from getting lymph edema if I ever travel via an airplane. The change in pressure could cause one to develop lymph edema. My second stop was at the cancer center to have lab work and IV site established. Next I was off the have a Bone Density Scan - this was very easy and painless test. After that was completed, I was instructed to drink a milk shake that contained barium. This was no fun and tasted rather Yucky (as my kids would say). I was then brought in for a CT scan of my chest and abdomen. The fourth test was a bone scan. This involved being injected with a isotope and then being told to return 2-3 hours later for the scan. Nancy and I were able to go have a nice lunch together. Upon my return to the cancer center, I had my scan that lasted for about 20 minutes. We left the appointment not knowing any results . I would find them out the next week at my oncologist appointment.
- June 19th - My Dad, Olivia and I went to this appointment together. All of the previous test came back within normal limits. Praise be to GOD! I told Dad that he was my good luck charm. So glad he could accompany me. At noon I was set up to have my first Zome
ta infusion that I will be taking yearly. This is used to counteract my chemo med (Femara) side effect of bone loss and it also has the bonus benefit of reducing the likelihood of reoccurring breast cancer. I was taken back to a private partitioned room that had a recliner, TV, cabinet with sink and medical supplies. This reminded me of my chemo treatment rooms. A nurse started my IV and gave me the infusion. This whole process took about 1 1/2 hours. My dad and Olivia was allowed to be with me. I did take 800mg of ibuprofen to counter act the side effects of flu like symptoms that the Zometa infusion can cause. I did have a few flu like symptoms only for the rest of that day and felt fine the next day.
Up and coming in July- Nemaha County Relay for Life set for July 17-18th to be held at the Nemaha Valley High School Track in Seneca at 07:00pm. What about Relay for Life? The Relay begins at dusk and ends the next morning. The light and darkness of the day and night parallel the experiences of the cancer patient undergoing treatment. The Relay begins at sunset, which symbolizes the time a person is diagnosed with cancer. As the evening progresses, it gets colder and darker-this represents the patients' struggle as they endure the emotions of being a cancer patient. The time between 1 to 2 a.m. represents when the cancer patient starts treatment. They become exhausted, some sick, not wanting to go on, possibly wanting to give up. As a participant in the Relay, you have been walking and feel much the same way. Like the cancer patient, you cannot stop or give up. The time around 4 to 5 a.m.a symbolizes the completion of treatment for the cancer patient. Once again, they are tired, but they know they will make it. The sun rising represents the end of treatment for the cancer patient. They see the light that life will go on. The morning light brings on a new day, full of life and excitement for new beginnings. As a participant, you will feel the brightness of the morning and know that the end of the end of the Relay is close at hand. When you leave the Relay, think of the cancer patient leaving their
last treatment. Just as you are exhausted and weak, so is that person, but there is hope in the new day! The money raised at Relay will support patient services, lifesaving research, education, and advocacy efforts.... and that is why we Relay. You can always visit: http://www.relayforlife.org/ My family, friends and coworkers have entered two teams in my honor. If you can attend come by and say hello. Look for the tent surrounded by DUCKS. Remember: There is no finish line until we find a cure!
4 comments:
Marsha---I always check for your updates!!! And I love it when you have a new one , especially with pictures!! It is so fun to see your hair growing..and your children!! Awesome that you have great news lately and you have surpassed this difficult and life changing year!! With me being in KC it is so hard to not just stop by and say hi...like you all can do there in town. I wish I could participate in the Relay for Life----but it looks like I have to be a supporter from here. (seriously--are you keeping the kids up all night??--I see night terrors in your future). Sophia had those a few times---it is awful!! I do however, really like the explanation you gave on the Relay---that does explain a lot why it is overnight and how we can feel a little bit like what the cancer patient goes through.
Can't wait to see you!!!
~Love, Sarah
Marsha; Just thought I'd check your blog, and wow you wrote some good stuff again. PRAISE TO GOD!! is exactly right getting your first year behind you and all those "yucky" tests over with. I love it when the Dad's get involved. They are so special and most of the time keeping to themselves, but caring more then we will ever know. I always loved it also when my Dad drove me down to KC. All your writing brings back so many memories, good & the bad times. In a month or so, it will be 4 years for me, sometimes it seems like yesterday. It has been quite a struggle to get where we are, and the relay for life you explained says it all. Anyway can't wait to visit again this month. CONGRATS ON YOUR 1ST YEAR ANNIVERSARY!
I'll be looking for those DUCKS!!!
luv ya Theresa
Marsha,
Looking forward to the Relay on Friday night. Sounds like the weather will be perfect! Maybe even chilly?
We're proud of you for being willing to stand up there, and share your story at the Relay. I'm sure you'll be great!
WE'RE GOING TO MEXICO!!!! Can you believe our trip is re-booked? Playa del Carmen, here we come. Glad we get to go celebrate our 10th & 11th anniversaries together! ha Jay must be getting excited about it too, since he's been doing his own research online!
Love ya,
Tam
OK MARSHA, YOUR THEE MOST AWESOME PERSON I KNOW(NEXT TO GEORGE CLOONEY)--WOW GIRL YOU KNOCKED'EM DEAD TONITE WITH YOUR SPEECH--YOU DID A WONDERFUL JOB--IT TAKES A STRONG PERSON TO DO WHAT YOU JUST DID IN FRONT OF ALL THOSE PEOPLE--I WAS SO PROUD TO BE A PART OF "YOUR" NITE AND WHAT A GREAT NITE IT WAS--YOU ARE TRULY ONE SPECIAL/STRONG/DETERMINED/GET-R-DONE WOMAN--WAY TO GO GIRL--HOWS THAT, I'M BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN...........
Post a Comment