- Oct. 23 -Thursday- Hallelujah Praise be to GOD! This day is here and I can't believe it. My sister and mom accompanied me to my treatment today. My apt. was a little later than normal. The nurse said they had 3 new patients starting chemo today. I remember that day all to well. I said a prayer for all of them. I had brought a large basket filled with goodies and treats for my Doctor, nurses and other staff. Feeling very good about this, all to my surprise my coordinators had a organized gifts for me. I had two boxes filled with gifts and inspiring letters that I got to open will taking my treatment. Mom and Tarese compared it to a mini-shower. It brought us much joy and even a few tears. My oncology nurses said "I can tell you are loved, I have never seen so much out pouring of love". You will notice on the side of my blog a list of the wonderful people and the gifts I received. I must wish my Aunt Rita a HAPPY BIRTHDAY today.
- Oct. 24 - Friday- The family was up to get Olivia off to school. Tim left early to go with Jay Mars on a road trip. Brody and I hung out at the house together. About 11:00am my in-laws came to town to pick Brody and I up to take us to the hospital for my Nuelastin shot. We did stop for lunch in town to celebrate this being my last treatment. They delivered Brody and I off at home and we were able to get in a nap. My mom came down to get the kids for the weekend. Olivia announced she has a loose tooth, so this lead to the discussion of the tooth fair. I can't believe our little girls is going to be loosing her first tooth. I guess we might be having some toothless Christmas pictures this year. Tami Steinlage and family brought over dinner for us. The food was great and I really enjoyed getting to visit with her. Thanks to Lydia Steinlage and family for providing the dessert and jello salad. Tim and I had a nice peaceful evening at home.
- Oct. 25 - Saturday- I woke feeling refreshed ready for a new day. Tim was running to get some parts so I got dressed and rode along with him. It was nice for him and I to just talk together. Came back home to rest, put my feet up and do nothing the rest of the day. It is very rare that I get to do nothing but that is just what I did most of the day. That evening Tim took me for a drive. Happy Birthday to Brian Rottinghaus (I will not bring up the fact I use to change your diapers).
- Oct. 26 - Sunday - Restless and not sleeping well. I figured since I was up I might just as well try going to church. I did make it to church, but had to leave right after communion. Came back home and went back to bed. Got my self lunch and watched the movie 27 Dresses. The movie was just as funny the second time around. I went back to bed for awhile longer. Mary and Ken Heideman brought over a little of the Bayou for dinner. We had Ken's Gumbo and it was great. Tim wants to get the recipe. My parents brought the kids home so we could all enjoy dinner together.
- Oct. 27 -Monday- Tim and Brody were up to take a rode trip to look at a cattle pin. So the rest of the house was up earlier than normal too. I got Olivia off to school. I was then able to get a few things done around the house and rest on the couch. I got a call from the school saying that Olivia had a rash and was not running a fever. After checking with my doctor office it was reconfirmed that she was one of many at the grade school that was exposed and had 5th disease. This is a virus called human parvovirus B19 that is very mild with limited symptoms like runny nose, sore throat and a lace like rash on cheeks. One might run a low-grade fever or no fever at all. The worse part about this virus is that the child is contagious the week prior to the rash and should avoid mothers who are pregnant (especially in their 1st trimester). As with most illness, we need to promote good hand washing to limit the spread of these virus. With my immune system run down due to the chemo, this could be concerning for myself. I did call by oncologist to let them know. At this time I will continue to hope that I will not get this virus. We thank Diana & Gary Haverkamp for a taste meal that we enjoyed this evening. At bedtime while we were saying our nightly prayers, Olivia announced that her 1st tooth came right out!
- Oct. 28 - Tuesday- I called into work and asked if they minded if I came in. I went in to work about 9:00am and worked until about 4:30pm. The ladies at work kept asking me if I should be at home. I told them that it is sometimes easier to be at work vs. being the care giver for my active 2 year old at home. Olivia was very proud that she had discovered that the tooth fairy did come. She is ready to loose a few more teeth so she might get a little more money, I think she must have something in mind to buy.
- Oct. 29- Wednesday- I returned to work today. I have only minor complaints like tiredness, dull nausea, and "warm" flashes. All and all I feeling much better knowing that I will not have another chemo cycle. Brody and I walked to Mary Heidemans to return her dishes and couldn't pass the swing without a ride. The afternoon turned out to be very pleasant. Laurie Kramer came by with a few more gifts for my last treatment. People's generous nature and out pouring of love continues to be truly uplifting to me. I thank you all for your support and I cherish your friendships.
October is National BreastCancer Awareness Month so I included five simple steps how to do a self breast exam.
Step 1: Begin by looking at your breasts in the mirror with your shoulders straight and your arms on your hips.
Here's what you should look for:
Breasts that are their usual size, shape, and color
Breasts that are evenly shaped without visible distortion or swelling
If you see any of the following changes, bring them to your doctor's attention:
Dimpling, puckering, or bulging of the skin
A nipple that has changed position or an inverted nipple (pushed inward instead of sticking out)
Redness, soreness, rash, or swelling
Step 2: Now, raise your arms and look for the same changes.
Step 3: While you're at the mirror, look for any signs of fluid coming out of one or both nipples (this could be a watery, milky, or yellow fluid or blood).
Step 4: Next, feel your breasts while lying down, using your right hand to feel your left breast and then your left hand to feel your right breast. Use a firm, smooth touch with the first few finger pads of your hand, keeping the fingers flat and together. Use a circular motion, about the size of a quarter.
Cover the entire breast from top to bottom, side to side — from your collarbone to the top of your abdomen, and from your armpit to your cleavage.
Follow a pattern to be sure that you cover the whole breast. You can begin at the nipple, moving in larger and larger circles until you reach the outer edge of the breast. You can also move your fingers up and down vertically, in rows, as if you were mowing a lawn. This up-and-down approach seems to work best for most women. Be sure to feel all the tissue from the front to the back of your breasts: for the skin and tissue just beneath, use light pressure; use medium pressure for tissue in the middle of your breasts; use firm pressure for the deep tissue in the back. When you've reached the deep tissue, you should be able to feel down to your ribcage.
Step 5: Finally, feel your breasts while you are standing or sitting. Many women find that the easiest way to feel their breasts is when their skin is wet and slippery, so they like to do this step in the shower. Cover your entire breast, using the same hand movements described in Step 4.
5 comments:
Marsha -
You look SO GOOD in your pictures. It's probably that smile that you always wear. I was glad to read that you did take it easy for a day after this LAST treatment.
After reading your list of gifts, do you kind of feel like you are living in Bath and Body Works? It is just awesome how many people are pulling for you. Here's hoping the road is not so rocky for you from here on out.
Lots of Love -
Janet
Marsha-Tim and kids--- We will be praying for you all and lifting you up!!You have made it through this very rough time and now to rest and build up your immunity. You are a strong woman with a strong husband by your side.
I was looking for a passage for you and for some reason I keep coming back to the book of Esther. She was called "for such a time as this"....maybe that is for you, sister. I am proud to call you my friend and so proud of you for your
courage. Love you, Sarah
Marsha,
I'm so glad that you are done with chemo! I'm sure you're relieved to know that you won't have to go back there again, and feel sick again.
I also wanted to say thank you to everyone who has helped Laurie & I with all of our requests. Whether it was food every 3 weeks, or the "Gimme $5" or the last request for gifts to send for Marsha's last treatment, we always had a great response. I think we can all see from the lists, that there are LOTS of people who care about Marsha.
Talk soon.
Tami
Marsha,
You looked great in church on Sunday! Hopefully the gang can get together for that pizza party, soon. I am ready to help you celebrate kicking cancer's booty!
Love and prayers,
Laurie
Keep up the great work, sounds like you are doing well! We think of you often...Take Care...and yes you are loved by alot of people...Its only going to get better from here......You are looking really good....must be some Kramer in you somewhere..... ha ha
Diann
Post a Comment