Sunday, November 23, 2008

Preparing for and recovering from...Surgery

  • Nov. 14 - Friday- Was my day off work. I spent all day cleaning the house. I did get some help from Tarese, Joel, Brody and Donna.
  • Nov. 15 - Saturday- Went shopping with Nancy Henry to Topeka. I was excited to come home a clean house, after having my little house keeper come while I was gone. So, the Gimme $5.00 money is still being put to good use. Olivia and I met Nancy, McKalya and Wilma at the dinner theatre in Wetmore. The production of Beauty and the Beast was great!
  • Nov. 16 - Sunday- Church with the kids and hung around the house.
  • Nov. 17 & 18 - Monday and Tuesday were mostly work days. On Monday at work, Harry & Jerri Stewart gave me a bracelet inscribed, "Bless this woman". Thank you for your thoughtfulness. On Monday evening, Julie Glissman stopped by with a basket of goodies. She knew exactly what I would need in the hospital. Thanks for the lip gloss, pillow, snacks and the crossword puzzles. On Tuesday afternoon we had to wait to receive the call from KU Med Center. They were to call between 3:00 & 5:00 p.m. to let us know when we had to be at the hospital on Wednesday morning. The call came, and they asked us to arrive on Wednesday morning at 5:45 a.m. Ron & Loralea came into town this evening to stay with the kids, for the next several days, and nights. Once the kids were settled, Tim & I left for Kansas City around 5:00 p.m. We had a nice dinner together at Applebee's near our hotel, and then checked into the hotel for the night. We both took Tylenol PM, and had a good night's sleep before the big day.
  • Nov. 19- Wednesday- Surgery day. We arrived at the hospital at 5:45 a.m., as requested. We moved from one waiting room to the next, with the other people who were going to have surgery that day, too. My parents arrived early, so that they could see me before I went into surgery. From here, the rest of the story gets a little foggy... My family tells me that they started surgery somewhere around 9:00 a.m. Then the first time they were able to see me again, was at about 10:00 p.m. in my room. My friend Sarah came to keep Tim and my parents company, and then my brother, Darron & sister, Tarese came mid-day, and stayed until they were able to see me after surgery. Tim and my parents spent the night at the hotel, since I was not lucky enough to get a private room tonight. I wanted to thank Monica Holthaus for making sure that Olivia made it to CCD and home.
  • Nov. 22-Saturday - I was released from the hospital early Saturday afternoon. Luckily, I slept for most of the ride home. Thank you, Sheri for being my driver. Due to the fact that I'm still recovering, I will not be giving a detailed report right now. I want to thank everyone for their continued support, love & prayers. Your understanding to allow me to recover and heal, at this time, is greatly appreciated.
  • Nov. 23-Sunday - It was great to sleep in my own bed last night, without being bothered every couple hours for vitals, or lab work, or pain pills etc. Tami stopped by to keep me company this afternoon while Tim went to work for a while. In fact, this is Tami typing now! Marsha put me to work, trying to get the word out to all of you that she is home and doing remarkably well! (Marsha said "remarkable" is a strong word!!) But we knew that everyone was concerned, and wanted an update.

8 comments:

Loni said...

Dear Marsha!
I'm so glad that last week is over & you are on the 'road to recovery'! Also, I was glad when Tami told me the two of you had done an up-date. I'd say you were "remarkable"! :) and hope this finds you feeling stronger every day.
I continue to pray for you, & wish you a nice Thanksgiving, with plenty to be 'thankful'for!
Hugs....
Loni

Tami said...

Marsha,

Thanks for asking me to come spend the afternoon with you. I wanted to come see you while you were in Kansas City, but this was much better!

You continue to amaze me. I'm sure you get sick of hearing everyone say this to you, but seriously... I wasn't expecting you to be up and around, and I sure wasn't expecting you to want to go downstairs to update your blog. It's so nice of you to be concerned that others will be checking for an update. And we all understand that you need time to recover, and that once you're feeling better, you'll share your story. Plus, we'd rather hear the story when your mind isn't so "foggy"! ha

Let me know if you need anything over the long weekend. I'll be around. Keep up the good work. I'm so proud of you, and thankful that you're my friend.

Tami

Anonymous said...

Marsha! I am soo glad that your surgery is over and went well and that you are doing well!! Take care and have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family! I am thankful that you are alright! Take care,
Denise

Sarah said...

Marsha---I admire you so much for the grace you have shown while going through all this!! Thank goodness for grandparents at a time like this!! Tim's parents and yours are so awesome to help you & Tim with Olivia & Brody--what a relief that is. Take all the time you need to heal slowly and gain your strength back--we are all loving you and praying for you & Thanking Jesus for carrying you through!! Peace & Love, Sarah

Anonymous said...

Marsha,
I was so surprised to see your blog with an update and so happy to be able to hear how you are doing. Sorry I missed your call the other night. . . we all miss you at work, everyone is asking how you are doing. Just wanted to tell you again to call if there is anything you need or that I can do. By the way you did a great job text messaging!
I hope each day you will feel better. We are thinking of you and praying for you. You are an amazing women!! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Pam said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING MARSHA,TIM,OLIVIA,BRODY!!!!!!!!!!!
MARSHA HOPE YOUR ABLE TO SNARF AT THE TURKEY TABLE TOMORROW--I WISH YOU A HAPPY, RELAXING DAY WITH YOUR FAMILIES--ENJOY THE DAY!!!

LOVE PAM

Anonymous said...

Marsha -

I am so glad to hear you are home and doing well! I have been thinking about you a lot these past couple of weeks and praying for you.

The girls (1988) would like to spend some time with you when you are feeling up to it. Kim, Pam and I are planning ideas for some "fun" time. I think you deserve it! Everyone is welcome to come to my house. I'll be in touch. Please call me if you need anything! Love, Nancy

Sarah said...

Go Marsha!! You have made it a week already--hang in there and keep healing--take your time.
Love from KC