Saturday, November 29, 2008

Fighting and Bonn Bonn's.

  • Nov. 24 - Monday- I have had so many people asking how I'm doing? My body is fighting to recovery for all the attacks (the cancer, then chemo and now surgery) is has been under going. While I have been sitting in my easy chair eating Bonn Bonn's, laying on the couch, napping daily, and resting whenever I can. You get the picture. I ask myself will I not be able to get back to my previous energy level. Then I do have to remind myself my body still working very hard to repair its self. My sister came down and spent the day with me. I'm very thankful for her help and doing thing around the house, care for me and the sponge bath. I'm sure I smell so much better.
  • Nov. 25 - Tuesday- Tim and I headed back to Kansas City for an one week follow-up apt with my surgeon. I turned the seat back and rested most of the way. I did wake to help Tim find his way to the Westwood center. While in the waiting room we meet a friend. I hope that her apt goes well and I will be praying for you. I have been having some itching and rash noted on my neck and other spots on my body. When bring this up to Dr. McGinness she changed my pain medications. I also had more blood drawn to make sure my hemoglobin continues to climb. It was up a whole 1.2 point higher since Saturday. This will help with my energy level. It was a long day and I was very worn-out when I got home.
  • Nov. 26 - Wednesday- I would like to educate my readers and explain a little more about my surgery. When a women is diagnosis with breast cancer their are many components to determine the best way to treat each individual case. I did agree to have a genetic test complete. Genetic testing involves taking a sample of blood in order to learn more about a person’s genes. Genetic testing can be used to determine if someone has changes in their genes that make them more likely to be diagnosed with certain diseases such as cancer. Genetic testing does not take the place of tests which screen for certain types of cancer. However, genetic test results may affect recommendations about the type of screening and the age to begin screening. The decision to undergo genetic testing is a very personal one, and the benefits depend on your particular circumstances. For this reason, it is important to speak with a specialist in cancer genetics if you are concerned that cancer may run in your family or if you are interested in genetic testing. Based on the results of this test my surgical options and recommendations where recommended to me. I had a bilateral mastectomy surgery to reduce my risk for recurrence and preventive measures. For the longest time I have not been comfortable sharing this information. I think that it was a mental thing. I wanted to know that surgery was over and I would be OK with the change before sharing that with everyone out there. Thanks for being patient with me. Today is one week since the big surgery day. Here is a photo of me in the hospital. Ugh! Olivia and I spent the day home lazying around. Laurie and Drew came by to visit with us early afternoon. It was great to see them. Olivia enjoyed spending sometime with the Kramers while they putting up their Christmas tree.
  • Nov. 27- Thursday- Thanksgiving Day so much to be thankful for. This has always been one of my more favorite holidays. (Sometimes refer to as the forgotten holiday) We sometime seem to forget to Thank God and/or others for the thing we receive and are given. My daughter (along with her kindergarten class) got to participate in her first mass. She said two pet ions and brought up the offertory gifts. She was so excited. I was at home nauseated and vomiting. I have always wanted to wittiness that moment, but I think God had someone else in mind. Her dearest Daddy took her to church this morning and came home so proud of her. I did take some anti-nausea meds and was ready to go to my parents with Olivia and Tim for lunch. We were all so thankful to go see Brody. You see he has been staying with my parents since Nov. 20. I had not seen him for a week. It felt so good to hug him (I have to admit I was rather sore) but we all know that the hug was great! I did leave the excitement of the family gathers and went to take a nap. Brody took a nap with me:) The kids and I stayed for dinner to see other family members that came for a later meal. After staying that long we ended-up spending the night at my parents house. The kids thought this was a big slumber party.
  • Nov. 28 -Friday- My sister, mom and I ran to Wal-Mart for the early bird sales. I really didn't need anything but left with several items. Seems to me one can never leave Wal-Mart with an empty cart, what about you? We were back home by 6:30am. We had breakfast together. Ali, Camryn, Olivia, Brody and I head for Corning. The kids had a great time playing. Ali made lunch then time for naps for all. After our naps were over we started watching the movie "Polar Express". This got all of us ready to see the man in the big red suite. Jeff (Ali's boyfriend) brought Ellie my other niece to the house. We got the kids ready to go to the Tree Lighting Ceremony and Santa arrival. The kids in the picture are as follows: Right to Left Olivia, Ellie, Camryn, Brody.
  • Nov. 29- Saturday- To discover snow on the ground was very surprising to us. We had not been watching the weather forecast. It was great for Tim and I to wake to the kids running into our room and jumping in bed with us. My mom came to pick up Brody. My aunt Alice came over to visit. Her daughter Angie sent frozen dinners. We all visited and had lunch together. Tami came down with a few more frozen meals from Denny & Mary Donahue and Maggi Kennedy. These will be great to have on hand. Olivia went back to Tami's house to play for the afternoon. I was blessed with peace and quiet to get a nap in. Later I walked down to get Olivia and visit. Tim, Olivia and I came home to have dinner.
  • Nov. 30- Sunday- We slept in until around 10:30am. That is a new record. Olivia was not feeling so good (up-set stomach). We spent most of the day lazing around. Olivia helped me pick out and order our Christmas cards. John and Elvina came by the house to visit and check in on us. Sounds like they had a nice Thanksgiving with their family. I hope that all of you had a nice holiday weekend and wishing you all God Love.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Marsha so glad that you did get to go to your parents for Thanksgiving dinner. I cannot believe you went to Walmart! What a true trooper. Go girl. That was very special that Tim was able to take Olivia to church on Thanksgiving, there is nothing like how a daughter can get her Dad to do all kinds of great things. Thanks for sharing your treatment course. We will be down soon. Donna Z

Bowers Family said...

Marsha,

I am glad the treatment, and surgery are now behind you and you can use your energy on moving forward; and I am sure you are gaining energy just knowing that this is all behind you. Your courage through all of this has been unbelievable.

That is great that you got to celebrate Thanksgiving and even do some shopping.

Your post and the comment above mine just got that tears rolling! We are so proud of you. You have so much to be thankful for, and we are thankful that you keep checking off the steps in this battle!

I know you are a very energetic, motivated individual (that is an inspiration, and it teaches all the hearts you have touched about faith) and you will be back to doing everything you love real soon...do relax and take it slow some, you deserve it.

In our hearts and prayers,
The Bowers,
Josh, Nicole, Peyton, Parker, Presly, and Paxton

P.S. It was great seeing you at the Santa event the other night!

Anonymous said...

Marsha,

You never cease to amaze me. Shopping on Black Friday, good for you.
I read your blog faithfully and appreciate being able to keep up on how you are doing. You are in our thoughts on a daily basis. Stay strong. You are doing great!!
Stacey

Anonymous said...

Marsha,
We are all so happy to hear that the surgery is behind you. Olivia and the Kindergarten class did an excellent job at church Thursday. Being the emotional sap I am, just watching all those excited little faces do their parts brought on my waterworks! If you didn't get your pics let me know there was several of us loaded with our cameras!
You are such a strong women and Tim and the kids are so lucky to have a true fighter in their Family! We continue to pray for a speedy recovery.
God Bless,
Travis, Nickie, Kamble, Ian, Lena, Ben and Baby

Tami said...

Marsha,

I would have croaked if I had walked into WalMart Friday morning and run into you! But you early birds were long gone before I got there. I should have given you my list and stayed in bed! ;)

Avery and I had a good time baking sugar cookies with Olivia on Saturday. Those girls had flour from head to toe, but that's what makes it fun. I'll send pictures soon.

I'm so glad you're this far from surgery and doing so well. I'm sure you never dreamed you would feel good enough to go shopping for a little while on Black Friday.

Thanks for sharing your story with others. The tough decisions you had to make might help other women who are in the same situation. Knowledge is power!

Enjoy your peaceful days. Keep getting stronger and let us know if you need anything.

Love,

Tami

Sarah said...

Well sista---I thought I could read it all without tears--but no... I am so relieved about how awesome you are doing!! You still need to take it easy and not over-do-it. We are all inspired by you!! ~~~What a woman~~ tha's all I can say. Peace & Love, Sarah

Brenda Q. said...

Amazing!! You are simply amazing!! You have been through so much in the past few months, and you manage to find peace to be thankful for everything. Saying that you have been an inspiration is just inadequate. Shopping on Black Friday?!?

Thank you for sharing your life journey with all of us. I'll keep praying for you and your family.

By the way, you look GREAT!!!
Brenda

Sarah said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5-6gwssX0Y

When you have time--this is the most beautiful song that describes the names of God......Reminds me of how peaceful you are !!
Love, Sarah

Anonymous said...

Marsha -

It was sooo good to see you the other night. You look great! I hope by the time you read this you have been able to lose your "little friends"! Continue to take it easy.

Janet