- March 2 - Monday -The start of another work and radiation week. After leaving work at 2:30pm Brody and I meet Tim at the shop. Tim and Brody waited together while I had my appointment then we left to take Tim to the Auto auction. It seems that I've started to come down with sinus pressure, sneezing, watery eyes and final a drippy nose. Since Brody and I had time to waste while Tim was at the auction we went to get some sinus medication. Tim gave us a call when he was ready to be picked up. On the way home we grabbed some fast food and picked Olivia up from Grandpa and Grandma Grossnickle's. All where ready for bed when we finally made it home.
- March 3 - Tuesday - I woke with xerostomia (very dry mouth) and could tell that my sinus pressure was back. Yuck! It was good to know that I got to spend most of the day at home. I'm not sure if it's the crazy life I'm leading or my sinus that are making me feel so tired. I'm sure the combo is to blame. I had plans to have Joel come down for awhile today, then Tarese called to
say that she would not be bring him. Brody was disappointed to find out that Joel was not coming. Maybe another time. That meant that Brody and I took a nice early afternoon nap. Tim called to say he was on his way to town to get Brody and I. Brody ended up staying at the farm with Grandpa and Grandma. Tim and I had a nice trip to Topeka together. I had # 19 treatment today followed with a visit with Dr. G. since Dr. K. was out of town. They told me that they were pleased with the condition of my skin at this point. I have included a photo of the treatment room. Check out that machine. We were home to have dinner, do homework, read a book to the kids, baths, and prayers before bed.
- March 4 - Wednesday - Still feeling like my sinus are acting up. Usually once a year I get this problem especially with the change of seasons. Off to work I went. It was an OK day. One of the things I choose to do for lent was to abstain for having any soda pop. Today has been a real self sacrifice not to have a cold Diet Coke or that Dr. Pepper that Julia brought to work. I was to daycare to pick Brody at the normal 2:30 time. He must have been more tired today because he stayed sleeping after I carried him to the car. Nickie Wells accompanied us to the Cancer Center. Brody showed her the vending machine in the waiting room. I think he shows everyone that:) We made a quick stop at Sam's Club for formula, and diapers. I must say that I didn't buy anything at this stop. I know that Tim will be happy to hear this. Nickie -- I'm so glad you could go with us and next time we might go on a real shopping trip. I happy to report at days end I did not give in and have a soda pop. Temptations --we have them everyday. Be Strong!!
- March 5 - Thursday - What a beautiful day! The weather forecasters got this one correct. We reached 81 degrees today can you believe it. With the weather like this it really makes one feel like being outside. That is just what Brody and I did. He headed straight for his sandbox and I backed the car out of the garage and swept it out. At one point he went running down the sidewalk to say hello to Lydia our neighbor. With this being such a grand day I could not make Brody spend most of the afternoon riding in his car seat to Topeka. Tim opted to keep him at the shop with him. Amy Huerter accompanied me to treatment
# 21. I was able to move my appointment time up to 3:00 vs. 4:00pm. That allowed us to be home a hour sooner then normal. When I returned home I went out to the shop to check on the kids. They were having a ball playing around outside. I have included a photo of the kids with Grandpa Ron. To finish off a very vast day the family went to Ken's Place for $1.75 hamburgers or $2.00 cheeseburgers. Brody was asleep before we got home. He didn't wake as we carried him in and changed his clothes, guessing a full day of playing outside had something to do with this.
- March 6 - Friday - Brody and I had an early start, but all went smooth. I was to work by 0730am. The work day went well and the day passed rather quickly. My Mom meet me at the hospital, we then picked up Brody. Down the road we went to my treatment. The radiation team and myself have been watching and monitoring my skin for burn areas. I have previously mentioned in my last posting that I have a small pinkish area on my chest. BUT I'm afraid that I have discovered another area located on my back. When I asked the radiation technician about this, I was told that this is common. Especially for people like me who have a thin frame near the clavicle area. They explained that the radiation travels through this area and exits my back and that is way skin burns are more likely. I wish I had been warned of this. The sorry economy has now effected our family. A local company my Mom works for is now working 4 day work weeks vs. the 6 day work weeks they did a year ago. We decided it would be best for Mom to go with me on one of her mandatory days off. So glad she could go with us. My brother and his family came down with cheese and veggie pizza in exchange for using Tim's tire machine and lift. The kids are always very excited to spend time playing together.
- March 7 - Saturday -I left this morning when it was still dark out, the rest of the house was still sound asleep. I meet up with 3 other nurses from the hospital to attend a CEU (continuing education units) program. This was a very educational, entertaining, and informative update on breast cancer. One of the presenters recounted her journey with breast cancer, I found this to be very touching and I couldn't stop my tears. We left the conference with our hands full of great treasures and our mind filled. A stop at Dairy Queen for treats on the way home was a must. Tim and the napping kids returned home about the same time as I got home. Since the kids were resting, I decided to slip away to church. I was happy to be home and hang out around the house the rest of the evening. The kids seemed to be happy to have me home.
- March 8 - Sunday - Daylight Saving Time - We lost a hour but the good news is that it will stay light longer in the evening. That is reassuring to know that spring is coming but now the kids might not like to go to bed on time. St. Patricks parish had our pancake
breakfast today. We took Grandpa Ron and Grandma Loralea to Kansas City to the PBR (Professional Bull Riding). The kids loved the whole experience especially the bulls and the cowboys. They had several questions for Grandpa Ron since he rode a few bulls in his younger years. I have added a photo of the arena. No matter where one goes you seem to run across someone you know. Alaina and Chris had seats 3 sections over from us. It was fun to see and wave at them.
Sunday, March 1, 2009
18 - 22 radiation treatments
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
HOWDY MARSHA,
WANTING TO WISH YOU A GOOD WEEK AT TREATMENT WITH NO SIDE-EFFECTS, HOPE YOUR SKIN CONTINUES TO HOLD OUT AND YA DON'T GET TOO MANY MORE RASHES--WILL THE SUNSHINE BOTHER YOU?? TIM,OLIVIA,BRODY--YOU GUYS ARE DOING A TREMENDOUS JOB OF TAKING CARE OF MARSHA--KEEP IT UP AND HER TREATMENTS WILL SOON BE DONE--THINK OF YOU OFTEN MARSHA AND WILL CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY THAT YOUR TREATMENTS CONTINUE TO GO WELL--AS ALWAYS THANKS FOR BLOGGING FOR US AND HAVE A GREAT WEEK!!!
PAM
Marsha,
Only one week left! I am so glad that you are nearing the end of this. You have gone through this experience with such grace. I am so impressed by you! I enjoyed yesterday. Brody will always remind me of Tim in kindergarten!! I'll probably tease him about that when he is in high school. Have a good week. As always, we will continue to pray for you.
Love ya,
Laurie
Hi Marsha...
The countdown is on...4 more treatments, including today, right?? I'm sure you'll be so glad to be done.
Looking forward to going with you on Friday.
Keep up the good work. We're so proud of you, and the way you've handled all of this!
Love,
Tam
Marsha----we are cheering you on as you finish this leg of the race!!! Woohooo!!! Hang in there a few more days!! Can't wait to see youa gain and see how much gray hair you have!!----he he
Love you & God Bless ,
Sarah in KC.......
Marsha,
I am so glad that this chapter in your journey through life is nearing an end! Hope you have a great spring break with the kids (and Tim) with no trips to Topeka and it is to be nice next week. Take care and see you soon.
Denise
Hello Marsha!
So hard to believe that you are at the end of the radiation treatments. Just seems a few wks. ago (to the rest of us) that you made your first trip to Topeka.
I want to tell you that I need a nap after reading your weekly updates!! You are one busy Momma, but how great that you feel up to the daily tasks.
Thanks for the weekly updates & hope you're having a good week.
Loni
Post a Comment