Thursday, February 26, 2009

14 - 17 radiation treatments

  • Feb. 23 - Monday - Centralia didn't have school today. The kids and I attempted to sleep in till 0800am. Brody went with Tim to the farm. Olivia and I had a girls day planned. We made it to Topeka for my 10:00am radiation treatment, but no sooner had I made it into the waiting area. Dr. K walked by and said did they not get a hold of you. WHAT!?! I'm not sure what you are talking about. She informed me that the machine was broken down!!! NO, I did not get any calls. I guess the only good thing that came of this long wasted trip was that Dr. K did see me. I have a small area that is pinker than the rest so she gave me a script for some steroid cream to apply to that area four times per day. Like I need one more thing to do. Olivia and I were back in the car and now headed for Manhattan. We had made arrangements to meet Alicia Stallbaumer between her classes for lunch. For the past 3 years Olivia and I have taken her out for her birthday because she is my godchild. We waited till now because this was the first time we all had available to get together since the first of the year. It was worth the wait! We choose Rock-a-Belly Deli located in Aggieville. Check out the group photo. After bring Alicia back to her house so she could get to class, I took Olivia to have her hair cut at Shaggieville. This was a fun little shop with great service.
  • Feb. 24 - Tuesday - Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday) - I was able to see Olivia off to school then Brody and I were off ourselves to daycare and work. Annually in February is National Cardiac Rehabilitation Week so our department does something for our patients and fellow employees to promote a heart healthy habit. This year we severed breads with a choice of five different teas at a open house Tea Party. A tea party wouldn't be complete without wearing a hat. Check out Margie Henien, Myself and Dawn Osterhaus in our hats. I would like to thank a neighbor for letting us borrow the hats. I left work early to get Brody picked up and off to my number 14th radiation treatment. That means I'm HALF WAY THROUGH the treatments today. Yippee!
  • Feb. 25 - Wednesday - Ash Wednesday - I had the house up early this morning. I was needing to be at work by 0730am. Brody did better with getting up and going this morning. Could he becoming somewhat of a morning person? NOT. Brody and I meet Theresa Sudbeck at our house and she drove us to my treatment. After my treatment we made a stop at St. Francis emergency room to see Ashley (Theresa's daughter). Thanks Theresa for going the extra few miles on the way home to swing by the farm to pick up Olivia. All were very tired so the house was off to bed by 0830pm.
  • Feb. 26 - Thursday - Another day in the life of a working Mom who has to travel to Topeka for a daily radiation treatment. These are full days for the family, I'm so proud of my husband, daughter and son for being so supportive through these busy days. I think they have grown in many ways along with myself through this journey. I'm happy to report that the two ladies that I asked for prayers for in my last posting are home and are recovering from surgery. All to well I remember these feeling and pains. A little bit of advice: you will need several pillows, take your pain pills, drink more than normal fluids and invest in some milk of magnesium. Take care and know if you have any questions please give me a call or drop me an e-mail.
  • Feb. 27 - Friday - Ahhhh! a day off work. Brody and I lazed around together for awhile this morning. I did get a load of laundry done and helped Brody pick up the toys in the basement. Dana Bradley came down to the house. We took Brody out to the shop to spend the afternoon with Tim. Dana and I took off for Topeka. We made plans to meet Karen Teter for lunch. We had a delightful time, and hope to do this again in the future. Next time it will be my turn to buy! We made it to my seventeen radiation treatment ahead of schedule. I was lucky to be able to go to my treatment an hour early. We were back to Corning to pick up the kids by 0500pm just in time to begin taking call for surgery for the weekend.
  • Feb. 28 - Saturday - Waking to see everything covered in a blanket of fresh, crisp white snow is always refreshing to me. After we all had breakfast together, Brody decided that he wanted to go with Tim for the morning. Olivia and I hung around the house it was great. For the evening I had plans to meet some of the girls in my class for dinner and following we went to Rene' Feldkamps house. This was the first planning party for our upcoming plans to celebrate our birthdays together. As Rene's nephew guessed; we might be turning 30 year old this year. Ha! Ha! That was very nice of him to say even though he and the rest of us know better.
  • March 1 - Sunday- Tim and I enjoy Sunday mornings when the kids come sneaking into our room to wake us up. These moments are priceless. After church and lunch it was a great day to rest and hang around the house. Being able to hang out at home is more of a treat as of late. Olivia and I went to Dominic Hammes (my Godchild) piano recital. I have included a photo of him during his performance. After that we made our way to Baileyville to attend the Senior Play. To watch one of the performers Chelsey Rottinghaus who gave a very vocal performance. Great job! While Tim and Brody went for a Sunday drive.

12 comments:

Pam said...

GOOD MONDAY TO YA MARSHA AND FAMILY,

HAD A BLAST AT OUR "PLANNING" PARTY, AND YES MY DEAREST YOU ARE LOOKING GREAT FOR EVERYTHING YOU'VE BEEN THROUGH IN THE LAST 9 MONTHS--ITS ALWAYS AMAZING HOW STRONG WE CAN BE WHEN WE OUR PUT IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS AND MARSHA, YOUR POSITIVE ATTITUDE NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME----THROUGH PRAYER ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE AND I WILL CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AS YOUR RADIATIONS TREATMENTS ARE NOW ON THE DOWNHILL SLIDE AND NORMAL LIVING FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER--SO HANG IN THERE GIRL THE TREATMENTS ARE ALMOST DONE!!!!

PAM

TO ALL MARSHA'S BLOG READERS--COMMENTS HAVE BEEN PRETTY SLOW--LETS CONTINUE TO PEP HER AND HER FAMILY UP AS SHE NEARS THE HALF WAY MARK FOR HER RADIATION TREATMENTS--I KNOW THERE ARE TONS OF PRAYERS BEING SAID FOR THE GROSSNICKEL FAMILY, ITS JUST, SOMETIMES I'M SURE MARSHA AND CO. WOULD LIKE TO READ ABOUT THEM--SO TO ALL YOU BLOGGERS OUT THERE, THE FAITHFUL AND THE NEW--LETS ONCE AGAIN SHOW MARSHA AND THE GROSSNICKEL FAMILY HOW MUCH SUPPORT SHE/THEY REALLY HAVE OUT THERE---THANKS TO ALL!!!!!!!!
SO PEOPLE---"LET'S BLOG"

Tami said...

Hi Marsha,

I was wondering how your girls night out went on Saturday night. Sounds like you had fun. I met you on Hwy 63 when you were headed north, and I was headed home from the grocery store. We were bums all weekend long, hibernating inside!!

So glad that you were able to meet up with Karen. I hope next time I can go meet her, too!

Take care...we'll have to get together soon & catch up. With this yucky weather, the kids haven't been outside, which is usually when we see each other!

Love ya. Hang in there, you're on the downhill slide!! Hope that the cream Dr. K gave you has helped?

Tam

Anonymous said...

Hey Marsha--
Glad to hear that you are on the down hill slide of your radiation treatments..I hope it works out next wednesday for me to go with you for the treatment..Let me know..You are truly amazing with such a great attitude. We continue to pray for you and your family. Keep up the great work and I love to read your blog each week to hear that you are doing so well. Love ya Renee

Sarah said...

Hey sista!!! It was great to hear that you had a couple mornings at home. Makes me feel els "guilty" he he.....Anyway!! I like the wig in the pic with Alicia--I must say!! Everytime I plan on coming to see you something gets in the way----but I promise to do so as soon as I can!! The Tibbetts and Messer's are still on your team and continue to pray for you!! Keep eating and stay strong...God Bless You & Tim & Olivia & Brody!!

Sarah said...

OK---so you noticed my typo!!

I feel LESS guilty when you have days of rest.....

so get to bed now......and rest.

We love you!!
Sarah :)

Anonymous said...

Marsha,
You always seem to amaze me with everthing you can accomplish in a week. You looked great Saturday night and you just seem to glow with positive attitude. Looking forward to continue planning our adventure. I can be easily available to take you to a treatment. Just let me know when and I can be there for you.

Rene'
ps: please don't faint as this is a post from me within three days. It's a record for me and hope to continue. I just needed a push, that I shouldn't have needed, thanks

Anonymous said...

Marsha...Congratulations on being half done with your radiation!! I am glad that the radiation is being more gentle on your system than the chemo was. Get out and enjoy the weather this week!! Roll down those windows on your way to Topeka! Have a great week. Take care.

Denise

Anonymous said...

Hey Marsha -

It was great to see you at the play Sunday night. And Olivia, you were soo good through the whole play. It was sure funny. It is just awesome how involved you keep staying with everything going on. Glad to hear the half - way mark is behind you. Really gives you something to look forward to by Easter. Take Care -

Janet

Anonymous said...

Hey Marsha,

The kids and I sure did like your outfits for the TEA Party. The kids loved your hats. Looked like you guys were having fun. That makes work more enjoyable. The "planning party" was fun, but takes time to pin point the date and destination to where we all will be going. Thanks for all your effort for getting this going.

I am glad your on the downslide of your radiation. You are looking so good.

Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Marsha,
I always like checking out how you are. Wow, you do look wonderful for what you have went through. I think about you and your family often. Take Care of Yourself!!!!!!!
Monica in Nebraska*

The Fischer Family said...

Hey Marsha - if you ever need a place to stay in Topeka during all your treatments please call me.

Boeckman mommy said...

I am glad to hear all is still going pretty well for you Marsha. Except for the sinus and a few small skin issues. I do remember that being an issue with my Dad's radiation. And reaching the half-way point, what a mile stone. I can still remember today the celebration we had at the Cracker Barrel on our way home from Dad's last treatment. Before long that will be you celebrating your last treatment. Hope all continues to go well for you.