
Feb 2 - Monday- Groundhog Day- The good old groundhog saw his shadow. That means we have 6 more weeks of winter. Surprise! Surprise! I would like to extend birthday wishes to Margie Heinen. I hope she got to go do something fun. Brody and I were up and off to work and daycare. Tim was home to get Olivia off to school. I received a beautiful bouquet of flowers delivered to work today. What a nice and unexpected thing my aunt Rosie did. I find peace and great comfort in this and I know that God will continue to bless me through my radiation treatment.
- Feb. 3 - Tuesday- I have a dear high school classmate who celebrates her birthday today. Wishing you a great one, Rene' Feldkamp. I travelled to Topeka for my first radiation treatment. I entered the front doors of the Cotton O'Neil Cancer Center. Looking around I see the large waiting room with people scattered around. Thinking to myself will I have to wait long. I proceeded to the check in desk and had to wait in line. The receptionist checked the computer and had me verify my date of birth then she instructed me to proceed down the hall and take a left at the second hallway I came to. A radiation tech. greeted me and took me back to a private dressing room and waiting room. I was instructed to change into a gown and then wait until she came back for me. When my name was called the technician lead me around the corner, through a very thick (8-12 inch) door into a large room with a large C-shaped machine. The machine reminded me of an open MRI machine. Even with my medical knowledge I'm not sure what they call the machine. I was asked to lie down on the table and was asked to raise my left arm above my head. On the ceiling above they had a round large black circle that had very small lights that twinkled like stars. This would be very soothing but the large machine blocking most of the view was a reminder that I was here for a treatment verses a nice evening of counting stars. The process of setting the machine up and align the laser light up with my temporary tattoo's took about 40 minutes. Dr. G came into check and go over things with me. After all the laser lights were in the correct position they gave me my first treatment. It took no more than 10 minutes. The machine made a Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound three different times and then I was told it was all over. I was helped off the table and told to go change into my clothes. The technician told me good bye and they would see me tomorrow. I left feeling no different than when I had entered. I do believe the side effects come much later like in the last couple weeks of the treatment. GOODY!!
The big evening that Olivia has been waiting for is finally upon us. The girl that could care less if her hair is combed on school days asked to have her hair curled. The kids and I made it to the last half of the girls game. I really enjoyed getting to visit with several people at the game. Tim made it for the first half of the boys game. The Panthers Dance team had 63 kids K-6 preform at the half time of the boys game. I have included a photo. See if you recognize any of the kids. All the kids did a great job.
- Feb. 4 - Wednesday - After Olivia and Tim were off for the day. Brody and I started in on the never ending chores of keeping ones home in some type of order. I couldn't take it any longer, I scrubbed the kitchen and dinning room floor on my hands and knees. I later called my Grandma and made arrangement for her to go with me to one of my radiation treatments. My sister said that she would have Grandpa spend the day at her house while Grandma went with me. Donna Zinke called to say she was on her way to Corning in about 45 minutes. When she arrived we installed Brody's car seat in her van and off we went. My treatment lasted only 5 minutes and we were only in the building for 20 minutes. Brody stayed with Donna in the waiting room while I got my treatment. I do believe Brody is preparing her for Grandmother hood. Brody and I were back home long enough to get dinner prepared before Olivia and Tim got home.
- Feb. 5 - Thursday- The family was up and all off to our daily obligations. I have set my radiation treatments up for 4:00pm everyday so that I'm able to work the busiest part of the work day. I have been leaving work by 2:30pm and making it to my appointment 5 or 10 minutes before my scheduled appointment. Like I said the treatment only takes a very short time compared to the drive. The ladies at the Cancer Center have been so nice and very accommodating. Julia Bergman went with Brody and I to Topeka. Julia watched Brody while I went in for my treatment. Does this phrase sound familiar: " tickle me one more time, Julia" The laugh out loud giggles are music to a mothers ears. Tim and his dad left for Kansas City this evening, they have a flight that leaves at 0600am on Friday.
- Feb. 6 - Friday- The kids and I did OK with the morning routine, but we sure miss having dad around. I worked until 2:30pm and then was off to pick up Brody from daycare. Amy Huerter and her daughter Kiersten went with to my Radiation appointment. Of course they watched Brody during my appointment. The Radiation technician came out to meet Brody. She then offered the whole group to go back and see the room where I get my treatments that was very nice of her. A bit of trivia: the door into the radiation treatment room weighs 5,000 pounds. While in town we enjoyed a nice meal out at a sit down restaurant, to bad we didn't get to sit and eat together. (the kids had us up to the bathroom several times) I spoke to Tim a couple times today and they had made it to Alabama without any difficulties and picked up the truck they went to get. When we spoke last they had drove through the area that was hint with ice last week. He said the roads were fine. But one of the gas stations they got gas at had just got power back a couple hours before they putted in. I'm so thankful Tim and His dad waited a week to give the clean up crews some time to work. I was happy to hear they were at St. Louis and were getting a hotel room for the night.
- Feb. 7 - Saturday- The kids and I lazied around this morning. Kelsey Henry stopped by the house with a 9x13 pan of lasagna. This will taste great one night this week. Thanks a bunch. With the temperature being so nice out the kids went out to play in the sandbox and get their bikes and trikes out. Avery came down to play with the kids. It was fun to hear the girls giggling together. In the middle of the afternoon Tim arrived home after his big trip to Alabama. We were all happy to have him home. My sister must of called Tim and made arrangements to watch the kids while Tim and I went to the movie in Seneca. It was good to see Kristy serving us our popcorn. We went to the movie "Fireproof". It's a must see for couples that have become frustrated with their spouse or themselves.
- Feb. 8 - Sunday- Brody and I went to church together, while their we received the anointing of the sick. I did promise to keep you informed of the K of C benefit details. This will be held at the Corning Community Center from 11am to 3pm on Feb.22nd. Menu includes your choice of chili, chicken noodle, vegetable beef and potato soups along with ham sandwiches, relish, desserts. It will be a free will offering. A 50/50 drawing will be held. An items for silence auction will be available. I look forward to seeing you that day. While talking about benefit the Baileyville Basketball Tournament is being hosted this weekend. I have included both of the little fellows bogs that the processed will be going to this year. The little ones just melt my heart. http://phoenixsfight.blogspot.com/2009/02/kindness-of-strangers.html and www.caringbridge.org/visit/elijahr
7 comments:
Marsha, I am glad that your radiation treatments are very quick and no side effects, I hope they hold off, if they show up at all! The picture of the girls is cute!! I agree, they had a great time, so did they boys!! Take carea and see you on the 22nd.
Love, Denise
Wow---I was thinking that you chose the "slower" life when we both got married and were ripped apart back in '98...hehe. But looking at your life now it looks as though you are the busy one, but your perspective is right on. Thanks for sharing with us Marsha and reminding us what is important. Love you and I am always praying for you and your continued healing!! God is good--Sarah
We want to see your hair!!!!!!!!!
Sarah...I saw Marsha's hair on Saturday!! It's growing a lot! Not enough to "spike" but it will be pretty soon! I can't get over how BLACK her hair is. We've been so used to seeing her with highlights lately...I had forgotten how dark it was!
Glad that radiation treatments are going well, so far! I know six weeks of this seems like an eternity, but look how far you've come since Father's Day! Just one day at a time.
The kids are excited about Olivia getting on the bus with them in the morning. If you need help with Brody during these crazy trips to Topeka, I can always pick him up on my way home.
Hang in there a little longer!!
Love,
Tam
Marsha...
It was so good to see you at the game last Tues. night & I love this picture of the 'entertainers'!
You're almost done with one week of radiation & soon, you'll be at the half-way mark. I'm amazed at how busy you stay, but do remember to take care of yourself!
I look forward to your posts, it seems the time goes quickly, for us out here, anyway.
And you deserve the beautiful flowers! How thoughtful!!!
Keeping you in my prayers!!
Loni
hey dude:)
It was good to see you last saturday too. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie and I'm glad that you got to have some of my world-famous popcorn (not really world-famous, but it's still the best). LOL. Next time you come to the theater you'll have to give me a heads up and maybe I can go watch one with you. Take care!
Kristy
"That's why I'm easy..... Easy like Sunday morning....
How's that for "singing your blog"? You know I read it.
Take care.
Post a Comment