Friday, February 13, 2009

5th - 8th radiation treatments

  • Feb 9 - Monday - Sending you a Big Texan Howdy to Mason Curtis on his 2nd Birthday. The family was up and out the door this morning. I worked from 0800am till 2:30pm. I proceeded to daycare to get Brody. He is usually napping so I carry him out half awake to the car. I meet Tim in Corning so Brody could stay with him. I then took off for Topeka. I arrived about 5-10minutes early. The staff was ready for me and I went right in. Following the treatment my Radiation Oncologist Dr. K visited with me and examined my skin for any changes. From there I stopped at the Wonder bread store in north Topeka for some hamburger buns and I left with a sack full of things. I was then homeward bond. I got home in time to make dinner and do homework with Olivia. Then it time for the bedtime routine and kids to bed. Ahhhhhhhh! the house is quite and peaceful.
  • Feb 10 - Tuesday-"What a day" Tim was up and gone by 0600am. I got up a half hour later to get the kids ready for the day. I brought Olivia down to the Mars so she could get on the bus with Trent and Avery. I had Brody to daycare and me to work by 0740am. That means we all were moving this morning. Brody had a doctors appointment at 0845am that his Grandpa Frank took him to. You see Brody has had a cough for about 2 weeks and has gotten worse that last couple days. He was wheezing and very course sounding. He ran a low grade fever of 99 to 100 for a couple days also. So I finally decided that he might not get over this on his own and that he might have something more than a virus. Besides he has not been acting like his normal cheerful self, rather tired, emotional, and clingy. Dr. B called me after the appointment at work to tell me that yes he has bronchitis's and a left ear infection. So thankful he didn't have RSV or pneumonia, which has been going around. We will be able to start some medication tonight. Work was crazy for me. When I left work at 2:30pm, I had Donna Zinke pick up Brody's medication while I went to get Brody. We meet in Corning at my house to leave Donna van and off were. I was feeling very tired and achy. Hoping nothing a couple ibuprofen won't cure. I let Donna drive us home. Thanks that was very nice. I was so ready for bed at days end.
  • Feb 11 - Wednesday-We woke to discover 2 inches of snow on the ground with it still coming down. Tim got Olivia on the bus while Brody and I headed to work and daycare. The drive was slow (30mph) better that then going in the ditch. On the way we saw 2 vehicles in the ditch, 1 spot someone had hit the guarded rail and another spot with tracks in and out of the ditch. This was all in 8 miles because the last 4 miles there was but a light dusting of snow. I left work at 2:30 to got pick-up Brody. We travelled to Sabetha junction where we meet up with Tim. He left a truck off and rode to Topeka with us. Tim and Brody brought me to my appointment. After my appointment we left the car we were driving in Topeka and each drove trucks home. I took both kids to the house to get them dinner and start on the evening routine. Olivia had CCD so we had to hustle to get is all done.
  • Feb 12 -Thursday- I was happy to stay home and not have to go to work or any where for the first half of the day. I did get several loads of laundry done and worked at keeping up with Brody. Tim keep Brody with him while my Aunt Rosie took me to my eighth radiation treatment. Finette Gress meet us at the Cancer Center and chatted with Rosie while I got my treatment. It was good to see Finette and glad all is going well for her and her family. Rosie dropped me off and headed for home. I started making dinner for the kids and Tim. From the time they got home until bed the evening was a blur. A quick reminder that the K of C will be hosting the Benefit Soup Supper in Corning at the Community Center from 11am to 3pm on Sunday the 22nd.
  • Feb 13 - Friday- I woke up with a very hoarse voice. No other symptoms to report with it. I'm hopeful this will not turn into anything more. I had the crude (medical term) about 4 weeks ago that started out similar to this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm not getting it back. We sent Olivia off to school and Tim to the shop. Brody and I worked on wrapping up Olivia's birthday gifts. The middle of the morning Brody and I went out to the farm to exchange my car for the Yukon. We went up to Seneca to run several errands. We meet Tim and Grandpa Ron for a quick lunch. Brody and I meet my Mom at my sister's house. The plan was for my Mom and I to take the 4 youngest cousins with us to Topeka to my radiation treatment. We were then suppose to meet up with Tim, my Dad and the 4 older cousins at Chunk E Cheese's. When the icy rain/sleet started to come down, Tim called to say we should cancel Olivia's birthday party. He didn't want to be out on the roads at night with all those kids, especially if the roads could get icy. This meant I also canceled my radiation treatment for the day. Back in the beginning I asked what would happen if I was not able to make it due to inept weather conditions. The answer was that they wanted me to be safe (it was OK to miss a day) but I would still receive the full 28 treatments. My brother's two girls came home with us. The kids where slightly disappointed but soon forgot about the party, because it was a treat to have cousins over to play and spend the night.
  • Feb 14 -Saturday- St. Valentine's Day- Here are a few words that come to mind: Love, attachment, devotion, charity, fondness, kindness, affection, passion, benevolence. Wishing all of you a day filled with at least one of these words. My morning was filled with making pancakes for the kids. Then the girls thought they needed to have toes and fingers painted. So guess who thought he need his done. Good thing Brody choose to have the "clear" as his color. Darron and Sheri were to the house to pick up the girls before lunch. After the cousins left we had a quick bite to eat and it was then nap time. Tim had made arrangement for a babysitter for the evening. He and I went to Seneca to the movie. Two movies in two weeks. Are we dating again?!?!?
  • Feb 15 - Sunday - Sending warm wishes to Alex Wilhelm on his 15th birthday. Look out next year he will be legal to drive:) While Olivia and I got ready for church. Brody and Tim got ready and head to the farm to help Grandpa Ron with cattle chores. After church Olivia and I made our way to Seneca to the Spring Hill Golf Course for Madeleine Regan Bridal Shower. Olivia was delighted to see everyone and even more excited to pass the gifts to Maddi. As a reward for all her help Olivia got to take home one of the red, heart-shaped balloons. Mariana rode home with us after the shower. This allow the girls some time to play together. After Brody had a nap we all packed up in the Yukon along with Grandpa and Grandma Grossnickle. Grandpa Frank and Grandma Cheryl came down to the house with Colten and Dominic. We all took off to Topeka for Olivia's Birthday Party at Chuck E Cheese's. Darron, Sheri and the girls meet us there. An adventure that is compared to a three ring circus. Always something happening. I have included a photo of Olivia and Chuck E Cheese. The memories we create for our kids last a life time.

6 comments:

Pam said...

MARSHA GAL--YOU WEAR ME OUT JUST READING YOUR BLOG--YOU ARE A BUSY BEE--GLAD TO HEAR TREATMENTS ARE GOING FAIRLY WELL--DONNA IS A HOOT--I GOT TO KNOW HER AND SHE IS FUN TO BE AROUND--SEE YA SUNDAY--CHEERS!!!!!!

P.K.B.D.W.

Tami said...

Marsha,

Hi. I was anxious to read your update, and see whether or not you ended up going to Chuck E Cheese on Friday night. The weather was terrible up here, but as I headed for WaKeeney, it was pretty much dry by St. Mary's. Avery & I had a good trip, although she thought four hours was a pretty long drive! ha

Happy 6th Birthday to Olivia (yesterday). Can you believe the kids are six, and almost done with Kindergarten? Boo hoo.

Glad you're getting all of these treatments done!! You'll be done in no time. (Easy for me to say...right?) But, we do need to start thinking about Mexico!!! It'll be so well deserved!!

Chat soon.

Tam

Sarah said...

I agree---I am worn out reading your blogs......I would be embarrassed to write my own..."stayed home today...did nothing etc"...ha ha !!
Anyway--take care of yourself and your babies...and Tim. Praying for you always.
Peace & Love, Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hey Marsha -

Looking forward to seeing you this weekend. Hope your treatments go smoothly with NO side effects. I just read the article you had posted to the side about diet during radiation .... make sure Tim is taking you out for hot fudge sundaes after those movies. You know to keep up the calorie count:)

Janet

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Haven't seen you for a while. Hope that the achy feeling doesn't last long. You do keep busy! How do you do it? Let me know when you need someone to go to radiation with you. Basketball is winding down, so we'll be around more.

I agree with Janet. Hot fudge sundaes are a must!

See you on Sunday.

Laurie

Anonymous said...

Marsha - you give me trouble about being so busy.... reading your blog, I'd say we're a lot alike! Let me know if you have time (and you feel up to it) to meet for lunch sometime when you are in Topeka. You choose location and I'll buy!! Take care and I'll talk to you again soon!

Love ya,
Nancy