Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Feeling the effects of the chemo

  • July 12 and 13th-Saturday and Sunday-I am feeling very tired, stiff and sore especially at the port-a-cath site. I would have to say my worst complaint is the terrible headache I have had with this. It makes it hard to think clearly. I spent these days sitting in a chair or laying on the couch. I did make it out of the house on Sunday for Church. The mass was said for me and the intent for a successful treatment. Brody went both days to the field with his Dad doing hay, so he thought that was great getting to be in the tractor. Olivia spent time at home with me and the highlight was on Sunday when she got to go swimming with Trent and Avery Mars. I would like to thank the Josh Bowers family for a great home made meal on Saturday evening and the Terry Mueting family and the Jim Kramer family for frozen meals ready to bake. Tim and the kids have really been enjoying the food. I think that is great because I don't have to cook food when I'm nauseated.
  • July 14 and 15th-Monday and Tuesday- These have been much better days because my headache has improved. I was able to keep the kids home with me and we got naps in both days. I published my blog site. This blog is a great way to thank people for the great things they do for us like when the Ron Quigley family brought over dinner on Monday.
  • July 16th-Wednesday - I returned to work at the hospital. I was feeling a little light headed most of the morning but as the day went on I seem to gain ground. The nights have been a little more restless. The oncology nurse talked about bone pain, but I didn't expect it to be more noticeable at night. Well that is when I have been bothered by it the most.
  • July 17th-Thursday- This day was designated a DO DAY (hair that is)! Tami and I drove to Topeka to meet Sarah. We went to the American Cancer Society to see what they had available for wigs and hats. The staff there was very helpful and I was able to get a free wig (not previously used by another). I tried on many different wig hair colors like red, gray, and blonde with my helpers labeling me as Hannah Marsha Montana. After a quick bite to eat we were off to my hair stylist for a hair-cut. I got a new shorter style that is very flattering. Jennifer, my stylist, put my new wig on and cut it to flatter my face even more. While at the beauty shop another patron said as she was leaving that she was a breast cancer survivor and she gave me this bit of advice. " Believe in yourself and know that you will be a survivor too." It's amazing how God works at all the right times in our life. We did travel to Fairlawn Plaza Mall to check out the Hair Secrets Wig shop. I was a little disappointed that they confirm that insurance will not usually pay for a wig. We left there not purchasing anything at this time. I would have to say by bringing along good friends it made a hard situation a little pleasant or even fun. "Gracias" Sarah and Tami.

  • July 18th 2008 -Friday- Back to work I went. I made it though work feeling very tired and exhausted at days end. It was good to see everyone and I continue to be amazed at the support I receive. The Randy Henry family dropped off a casserole and cookies. Were those cookies homemade? We will need to have the recipe!

3 comments:

Tami said...

Marsha, thanks for including me in your day on Thursday. I agree...we turned a very difficult subject (losing your hair), into a memorable day! Ice cream always makes everything better, doesn't it! :) Your strength at each turn in this process is truly amazing!

Love ya! Tam

Sarah said...

Marsha, I spoke to a survivor at church today. (Vacation Bible School). She said to tell you "It is just hair and it will grow back". She was more terrified of losing her hair than anything else. But God showed her,the day before she lost hers, that even women without hair are beautiful. Of course we were both in tears as she told me this. She said once it started to come out, she had her teenage boys help her shave. She also had a reconstruction and is very happy with the results. She looks great!! I wish you weren't going through this, I love you and God Loves you.....he wants to be with you in this storm. I think about you every minute---well OK--every-other-minute.
See you soon ,Sarah

Monica said...

Marsha, you are doing an amazing job with your blog. It will be great for you to have this to look back at the days that feel like a fog. And your kids will someday be able to see what their mother went through and Survived! Our prayers are with you, and just keep believing in yourself and your strength.
Take care- Royce and Monica