Sunday, July 6, 2008

The beginning steps

  • June 15-Sunday-I was gentle awaken in the early hours of about 0500am from some higher powers with a message. "To do a self breast exam" I was still waking up and feeling a little like I was dreaming. I did obey his call. To discover that there was a lump I had never noticed before in my left breast. I was awake now! I didn't want to wake-up Tim or the kids so I went quietly down to my medical books to do a little reading on breast lumps. I discovered 4 out of 5 are benign. After I returned home from church, I explain to Tim what I had found that morning and told him that I was very concerned.
  • June 16-Monday-I set up my screening mammo after work. I was asked if I was having any problems and I said yes and explained what I had found the day prior. The tech recommend having an ultrasound of the site. I was told that I would not know results until later that week because the radiologist liked to read them on site and would not be back until Thursday.
  • June 18-Wednesday-I made an apt. with my local physician. I had a history and physical completed at this time.
  • June 19-Thursday- I spoke with the radiologist and he said that the my mammo was normal and the sono of the lump looked like a fibroadenoma (benign in nature) but the only way to tell for sure was to do a biopsy to test the tissue. I would like to add, a standard screening mammo is a very good tool but remember, it will not detect for all types of cancer so mine was one of the non-detectable. Self breast exams are very important.
  • June 23- Monday- It was arranged to have a lumpectomy done this day. I really preferred to do this vs. the biopsy because I wanted whatever that lump was out of there. This was an in and out procedure. I was told that results would be back in 3 days.
  • June 26-Thursday-I had taken my daughter to Topeka for an apt and shopping. I received a call from my local physician late that day telling me I needed to come in to visit with her. I knew at that moment all that I had hoped and dreaded came to be. "I had CANCER" You never know how you will react. I was in shock and later tears upon tears.
  • June 27-Friday- My local physician met with us that morning even when I was told later that was to be her day off. I was given the a couple options as far as who I wanted to manage my treatment. I chose to go to KU Breast Cancer Center in Kansas City.
  • July 1-Tuesday-I need to pre-label this day as the Marathon Day. My husband, sister-in-law and I left home at 5:30am and returned that evening at 7:30pm. My apt was set for 9:00am with a breast surgeon. All was on time and ran very smooth that day. They scheduled me to get most all of my preliminary testing done that day. The plan for me will be to have neo-adjuctive therapy. This means chemo then surgery. I left with an appointment with my oncologist for Thursday that week.
  • July 2-Wednesday- My local Physican called to set-up a MUGA Scan this is a test to check the heart prior to having chemo therapy. Laurie was my driver home. (Thank-you)
  • July 3-Thursday-I was much more nervous about this apt. knowing that I was going to an oncologist. My husband, sister, and sister-in-law went with me to this apt because several ears are better than one. My oncologist explained what factors my cancer had and this allowed him to classify it and plan my chemo treatment. They told us that my first cycle or treatment would be planned for the following week. The cycle would be three weeks apart and last for 4-5 hours. Before the 3rd cycle I would have re-evaluation and testing to make sure the treatments are working. The plan would be to have a total of 6 cycle if the treatment works. I am praying for this.
  • July 7 and 8- Monday and Tuesday- I returned to work since my lumpectomy on June 23rd. It was good to get back to some what of a normal routine. I was glad to see all of their faces and receive all their support and hugs. THANKS.

No comments: