Saturday, September 6, 2008

Normal week #3

  • Sept 4-Thursday- Brody and I spent the morning at home. I made a phone call to my oncologist office today. I have started to have some fluid retention mostly in abdomen area and lower legs (ankles). This started over the weekend with my right leg being more noticeable. I have not taken the time to read all the side effects of the 3 chemo drugs they are giving me. Only because I thought it might make me a little bit of a hypochondriac. I broke down and read if edema was a side effect. Yes it is and was recommend to report to your doctor. After speaking to the nurse she recommend having a sonogram to my right leg to check for a DVT (Deep Vein Thrombus). These can develop in both the deep and superficial veins of lower extremities and cause the greatest risk by becoming a PE (Pulmonary embolus). I happy to say that I was negative for this!!! People who are at greatest risk of developing DVT's are those having major surgery (post-op), who have sustained a MI (Myocardial Infarction), may occur with the use of oral contraceptive drugs (especially in women over age 30) and with cancer patients.
  • Sept 5-Friday-Brody and I were up early and off to work and daycare. My sisters daughter had her tonsils out this morning. I went in early so I could be her nurse. It is amazing how well the little ones do. Tim has been bothered by headaches and sinus infections, so he also was off early to see a ENT (Ear, nose and throat) doctor. We need to say thank you to the Mars family for allowing Olivia to get on the bus at their house this morning since we could not waiting around to see her off. She thought it was great. By the way today is Jay & Tami's 10 year anniversary. Wishing you a happy one. We will still be going on our 10 year anniversary vacation but a little later than planned. I must thank Diane Newth for the surprise she sent to me at work, it was beautiful in may ways.
  • Sept 6-Saturday- MY BIRTHDAY- Now the first question on all your minds is how old is she? I guess that will have to remain my secret, unless you can figure up from my last post or from the comments on my post. Brody twisted Tim's arm this morning and got him talked into taking him along to haul hay. Olivia and I made Blueberry Zucchini bread and muffins. I got the recipe from Sheri (sister-in-law) after she made some and I love it. I have had several visitors today. Tami and Laurie came by to chat. Nancy Henry and Braden came bearing a birthday gift. You always have great taste. Bev Heinen surprised me with a decorate birthday cake. God continues to send his blessing though all of these friends. Tim and I went to Topeka for dinner and a movie but out of 22 movies to choose from we didn't care to see any. We had a very nice dinner at a little Italian Restaurant and I ordered Carrot Cake (one of my favorites) for dessert. We then did a little shopping. Katie Niehues came to the house and entertained the kids while we went out. I would like everyone that sent cards, called, or e-mailed know that it made my day.
  • Sept 7-Sunday-We all got to sleep in until about 08:30am this morning. The most of the day consisted of enjoying the great outdoors by helping Tim out at the shop. The kids got to drive around their gator and play with some puppies. It seems that my kids think that their grandparents have the coolest things at their house. St. Patrick's Parish held their Sunday mass at 06:00pm vs. 08:00am with a outside service. Olivia and I really enjoyed this and she thought it was fun sitting in our lawn chairs. We did have a few rain drops fall on all towards the end to mass. We invited Grandpa Ron and Grandma Loralea into our house to help celebrate my birthday. You were correct Bev the kids loved blowing out the candles.
  • Sept 8 - Monday- Last week Thursday evening when I was getting Olivia ready for bed. I told her that is was her last day of school this week. It is amazing what kids remember. When I went to get her up this morning for school. She said: " You told me I had my last day of school and don't need to go!" I was able to work today and keep pace with the others. I do get tired at the end of the day but who doesn't. Mary Jane Engelken brought over some comforting chicken noodle soup. That will be best for after a chemo treatment. Thanks so much.
  • Sept 9 - Tuesday- Brody was not ready to get up and going to daycare so early this morning. All the other morning he is up and ready to go. I think my kids have their morning routine mixed up. They are up early on weekends and want to sleep in through out the week. After work Tami, the kids and I all went for a walk. The evening was gorgeous. It was fun to take a peek at the inside of the new Corning Community Building/Library. I received a card from my cousin Jon and Angie Curtis family that included a gift card for i Tunes. Thanks for the music.
  • Sept 10 - Wednesday- Off to work I go, I owe, I owe! Seems that I have been able to complete my normal number of workdays this week. This is good because tomorrow I'm off to K.C. for my fourth chemo cycle. The last few weeks have gone by so fast that I can't believe that it time for another treatment. Ugh! After work Olivia and I went to a jewelry party at Julia Bergman house. Girls and jewels!

8 comments:

Bowers Family said...

Marsha,

I am so glad the weeks are going fast for you. You are doing great with everything you have encountered. Your motivation, inspiration, and strength is TRULY AMAZING.

Thanks for posting, enjoy reading and hearing how you are doing.

Thinking of and praying for you.
Nicole

Anonymous said...

Marsha, Happy Belated Birthday! Sarah heard your name on the radio and said " Olivia's mom has a birthday same day as me!" She thought that was really neat! I am glad to read that you are enjoying time with friends, working, being you! Before you know it these dreaded treatments will be over with and you can get back to your norm! You really are an inspirtation! Just wanted to say hi and I think you look great! Love the Birthday picture with the kids. See you soon...Good luck today, I know you will do fine! Your are in my thoughts and prayers!!
Denise

K Elliott said...

Marsha, you look great. Stay positive, it really helps. Pretty soon you will be through with all of this. I thought I would miss my hair, but really, not having to fix yur hair ever day is not so bad. I have to get up earlier now that my hair is back.

Anonymous said...

Marsha--Hopy your 4th treatment went well. Glad to hear you are doing well. You are turly a inspiration and we are continuly thinking and praying for you.
Renee

Brenda Bergman said...

Marsha,

I hope everything went as good as possible yesterday. Happy Belated Birthday. Great pictures! We are thinking of you often and pray for you each day. Stay strong.
The Bergmans

Sarah said...

Hey Girl!! Love that picture even better when I click on it and see it bigger---that is a fabulous blouse....I hope you are making it through this chemo dose without more issues---but if so I pray that you know in your heart that it is only temporary and you will make it through this!! Keep taking the meds they gave you. You don't have to be a hero. I think of you all the time...Sarah in KC

Pam said...

HI MARSHA,

HOW R U FEELING DURING THE 4TH TREATMENT?? HOPE THE ROAD SMOOTHES OUT FOR YOU SOON SO YOU CAN ENJOY FALL BEFORE THE DREARY DAYS OF WINTER SET IN--THINK OF YOU-TIM AND KIDS DAILY--WISH YOU THE BEST DURING YOUR 4TH TREATMENT--

PAM

Brenda Q. said...

Marsha

What a beautiful picture of you and the kids!! You look so good with short hair!! I look forward to reading your postings. Thanks so much for keeping us all updated.

I'm so glad that you're able to get into somewhat of a routine by going to work. I'm sure that the people you work with are giving you great support when you need it most. Keep up the positive attitude!!

Keeping you in prayers,
Brenda