Monday, August 4, 2008

The 2nd Chemo Cycle

  • July 31-Thursday- We (my mom, sister and aunt Rosalyn) left for Kansas City around the 7:00am time to arrive in plenty of time for my 09:30am apt. I was feeling good and drove on the way down. After the nursing staff check my vitals and draw my routine lab work then my family is escorted back to my room. It is very nice to have family present to visit with until the treatment begins. One of the three chemo drugs, Taxotere had to been given so slowly the first treatment to monitor for side effects. I was very excited/ yet nervous when the nurse announced that the drug Taxotere that previously took 2hours to infuse could be given in 1/2 hour. Now wait one minutes, I think I had SIDE EFFECTS! All and all we were done and on the road for home by 2:00pm. By the time we get home I'm usually tired and ready for bed. Olivia and Brody left with mom and planned to spend the next couple nights with them. Usually the grand kids get to spend a couple nights with Grandpa and Grandma before school starts and the kids really look forward to this.
  • Aug. 1-Friday-Tim and I woke to a very quiet house, we kept waiting for the kids to come into our room. It's amazing how we can't wait for some peaceful moments, then when it happens we can't help missing the noise. Tim drove me to Seneca so I could get my Neulastin shot at the hospital. I don't feel like driving a vehicle for several days following the cycles. Tim usually have errands to do while I get the shot and then be have a lunch date together. The Troy Kramer family brought food for dinner and the Bill Holthaus family sent frozen dinners for later. We thank you for the comfort food.
  • Aug. 2-Saturday-I have a slight headache this time, using Tylenol for this and it seems to work. I had enough energy to get a couple loads of laundry done. The Dale Steinlage family blessed us with a lovely lunch today. Grandpa and Grandma brought the kids home about noon. Brody was sooooo tired that he went straight to bed. Olivia and I could just hang out together and she could tell me tails for her trip. From about 5:00pm until bedtime, I seemed to have a little more side effects. So glad Tim was home to be with me and the kids at that time. The worst is when my arms, legs, neck, head, & etc. feel like I'm on fire.
  • Aug 3-Sunday- I spent most of the day lazing around. The compazine and tylenol seem to be take care of most of my symptoms except the "hotflashes". I have a better understanding for women that have gone through menopause. With the heat index being in the 100's, I felt like I'm melting each time I venture outside. The kids left about noon to go spend the day swimming with uncle Darron and family. They tell me that Brody is a really fish in the water. I would like to thank Dan & Pat Deters for bring over a frozen meal.

9 comments:

Bowers Family said...

Marsha,

Your updates are wonderful! Glad to hear you got some rest. Your picture looks beautiful, you look super in PINK!!! :)

Presly & Paxton have been asking to play with Olivia and Brody, maybe we can get them together this week.

Please know that you are in our daily thoughts and prayers.

The Bowers

Brenda Q. said...

Marsha

You look GREAT in short hair!!! Your inner strength really shines through in this picture and you look beautiful! Thanks for keeping us all updated. I always look forward to your new postings. Thanks for the quick chat today. I hope you had a great day with your kids. I bet they had a lot to tell you!

Love
Brenda

Boeckman mommy said...

Marsha,

You look great in your new do.

I look foward to all of your updates. I follow lots of blogs on a daily basis and am always ready for the next post. Keep up the good work.

Stay positive and know that there are tons of people praying for you. You are in our daily thoughts and prayers.

The Boeckmans

Anonymous said...

Marsha -

You look so darn CUTE in your wig, I'm thinking about getting one for myself!!!:) I hope you are feeling as GREAT as you are looking. The blog has been so nice to follow your progress.

As always if you need ANYTHING - just ask.

Keep Smiling -

Janet

Theresa S. said...

Marsha;
I LOVE to read your blog site. It is so up lifting for me. It ceases to amaze me how we have the strength to go through bc. As I read your updates, I see everyone's caring support and love in our community.

You look so great in your new hair-do and seeing your smile brightens my day. I remember all to well sitting in that chair, it truly brings a tear to my eye. But I am so.... soooo proud of you - you are doing fantasic!! You are a very special person and you were chosen to make this journey. Someday you will be the one helping someone else. I just know it!

Did you get that foot massage & back rub yet? I hope your feeling better by today. I know you will have up and down days, just stay positive. It is the best healing power there is.

You are in my heart and prayers each day. Keep that pretty smile going for me.

Anonymous said...

Marsha
It was really great seeing you today at enrollment. You really do to great, and I love the hair. You do look good with short hair. You will probably never want to grow it out again. The kids enjoyed seeing Brody. Well you take care of yourself and we need to get the kids together, maybe after school start and it slows down a little.

Unknown said...

Marsha,

You are beautiful inside and out - the hair and make-up is just an extra. I wanted you to know I care and I am praying for you and your family.

Dorothea Mauck

Anonymous said...

Marsha.
Thank you for developing this blog. It is a great way of letting people check in on how you are doing.
We cannot ever know why we have to have these darn detours in our life but that is why we have our faith to lift us up.
To read that so many of your friends, family, neighbors and co-workers are praying with you thru this journey is just awesome.
We love you.
Donna Z.

The Fischer Family said...

Marsha:

Deb just told me what you are going through. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

Julie Newman Fischer